1. Religion & Spirituality

Church of Scientology's Series "Meet a Scientologist"

By January 1, 2011

The Church of Scientology puts out regular press releases entitled "Meet a Scientologist," each of which interviews a different, average-Joe Scientologist (as opposed to the celebrity Scientologists with whom most of us are more familiar).

This week's Scientologist is Kirk Youngman, a dentist.  The series hopes to show that Scientologists are normal, everyday people looking to better themselves and those around them.  As a dentist, Youngman is obviously highly educated, helping to dismiss the notion that Scientologists are simply dupes easily parted from their money.

Regardless of others' opinions, Scientology is clearly important in the lives of these people.  They see it as a positive force, and isn't that what most of us are looking for?

Comments
January 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm
(1) Winnie Perot says:

I’ve seen the Meet a Scientologist videos and they’re pretty compelling. I know someone who’s taking courses, and I’ve learned from her that it is really a very rewarding experience. It seems that Scientology offers many things I am looking for, including practical knowledge to help me in my day-to-day affairs.

January 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm
(2) Juan says:

I would agree that the Meet a Scientologist series of videos is great! We are all searching to better ourselves and I think that a philosophy can only be judged by the fruits of those who practice it. With Scientology, individuals live with a greater sense of serenity and better the lives of others around them…I would say the results speak for themselves.

January 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm
(3) djdiaz says:

I think it’s important that people see regular Scientologists presenting their stories. There are some out there who paint Scientology in a negative light, based on false or twisted information, and these videos help bring some perspective to the scene. Scientologists are generally normal, successful people who lead happy lives and derive benefit from their participation in Scientology, and these videos show that to their viewers.

January 3, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(4) melproof says:

I am following this fascinating series since October. It’s like peeking in the lives of Scientologists.

January 3, 2011 at 11:25 pm
(5) Dani says:

I’d just like to point out that the ‘Meet a Scientologist’ videos are put out by the organization itself, and so of course will have showcase, happy, well adjusted people showing how their lives are bettered by Scientology. This would be true regardless of the religion in question (ie: ‘Meet a Mormon’, ‘Meet a Catholic,’ ‘Meet a Member of the Church of Satan’, etc).

While these videos may show real Scientologist practitioners and how their lives are bettered by the CoS teachings, at the same time a person should make themselves aware of all the issues surrounding the Church before deciding to join. I’d say that about *any* religion, btw.

Dani

January 4, 2011 at 7:24 am
(6) LJRich says:

Having read what I have about all of the bad things abut Scientology, it wouldn’t matter how much sugar they used to coat it, I’ll never buy Scientology as “normal”. Ever. All of the ex-Scientology testimonials showcasing the “ins” and “outs” of that group of people is plenty for me. The videos would do little to change my opinion.

As for the last question, yes, that’s what we all are looking for. However, not everything in life IS a positive force, or will ever be one. People have just lost sight of that in our never ending search for being PC. Dress up a pig, it’s still a pig.

January 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm
(7) Louanne says:

LJRich, Scientology is not a “normal” religion, for sure! It embraces all aspects of life and tries to improve them. Sure those who can’t stand the thought of betterment or don’t want to work on themselves to achieve improvement will squeak and point fingers (which is what you see often as “victim stories”). It takes some optimism to make progress and that’s why I understand that you would not be interested.

January 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm
(8) littledebbie says:

Read Scientology’s Freedom Magazine for false and twisted stories on the subject of Scientology.
the major source of misleading information comes from Scientology’s press offices and in their press releases.
90% of what they publish is intentionally misleading.Even their current and former PR people Tommy Davis,Mike Rinder,and Heber Jentzsch cant get their stories straight when interviewed.

January 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm
(9) Blayze Kohime says:

It makes me cringe every time I hear someone judge a religion based on words of an angry former-adherent. I’ve heard many ‘former members’ spouting outright lies about my own beliefs, so I know not to trust such words.

January 12, 2011 at 10:37 am
(10) pacotheus says:

Give me a break. Scientologists believe that alien civilizations waged war on earth millions of years ago and a whole bunch of othr nutty stuff. I’ll take it seriously when a majority of the members of the National Academy of Science are Scientologists and not atheists.