The table below is offered as a quick reference to the religions currently covered on this site.
Member estimates are based on the data at Adherents.com. It should be stressed that these numbers are only rough estimates, as religious statistics often are. Particular note should be taken of the following entries:
- The number of Jedi is provided by a variety of census results, which were influenced by an email campaign urging people list Jedi as their religion regardless whether they believed or not.
- The Church of Satan does not provide membership numbers.
- The Church of Scientology generally claims eight million followers, but this counts all people who have attended a class or purchased a book. The number here represents the estimated number of current active members.
- Vodou is classified as a branch of the African Traditional & African Diasporic Religions, which it counts as 100 million. The 6+ million listed here reflects the Vodou population in Haiti, which is the primary center of Diasporic Vodou.
- While the vast majority of Japanese people in Japan practice some aspect of Shinto, the number here indicates those who actively self-identify with the term "Shinto" as their religion.
- Adherents.com gives the number of Zoroastrians as 2.5 million, but it also states that the claim is under review. Most sources put the population around 200,000. Adherents.com suggests there may be many more Zoroastrians in existence than previous studies have reflected because persecution has kept Zoroastrians in some areas from advertising their numbers.
|Name||Est. Followers||Founder||Date||Belief Type|
|Baha'i Faith||7 million||The Bab and Baha'u'llah||1844||Monotheistic|
|Discordianism||Unknown||Malaclype the Younger and Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst||1950s||Non-theistic|
|Gnosticism||Unknown||n/a||2000+ years ago||Monotheistic or Dualistic|
|Jediism||Up to 500,000||None, based on the fictional works of George Lucas||After 1976||Non-theistic|
|Luciferianism||Unknown||n/a||20th century||Monotheistic, Polytheistic, or Non-Theistic|
|Native American Church||250,000-300,000||Quanah Parker (1880s)||1880s; 1918 formal incorporation||Monotheistic|
|Raelian Movement||20,000 - 40,000||Claude Vorilhon (Rael)||1974||Atheistic|
|Rastafari||700,000||Marcus Garvey, Leonard Howell and others||1930||Monotheistic|
|Satanism, LaVeyan||Unknown||Anton Szandor LaVey||1966||Atheistic|
|Satanism, Theistic||Unknown||n/a||20th century||Monotheistic or Polytheistic|
|Scientology||500,000||L. Ron Hubbard||1949||Personal Development Movement|
|Shinto||4 million||Indigenous belief for Japan||2000+ years ago||Polytheistic|
|Unitarian Universalism||800,000||Unitarian Universalist Association||1961||Non-theistic|
|Vodou||6+ million||African slaves||16th century||Monotheistic + many intervening spirits|
|Zoroastrianism||200,000 - 2.5 million||Zoroaster (Zarathushtra)||10th to 15th century BCE||Monotheistic|